Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Planting Eden

The day arrived and with it came two large cardboard boxes.  Planting day, that is!

As soon as I saw the two boxes I realised that in all my planning I’d never really considered what to do once the trees got here. I walked in circles for a few minutes then opened one box. It is truly an achievement how many trees they can cram together in such a small space!

Once I laid my eyes on those trees, they had won me over. Twigs with freaky spidery roots, dancing the line between fragility and perseverance. I felt what can only be described as my nurturing instinct. I cannot stand the sight of a baby with stuff on its face, but these bare rooted trees needed me as much as I need them. I kicked into action and got to work.

Planting my trees was the most pleasant work I have ever done. It was a sunny day, not too warm, I was being active and surrounded by birdsong and the knowledge that I was finally doing what I’ve been dreaming of for… well, I remember drawing maps of my ideal farm with my friend Danielle when we were little more than 8 years old. Digging and planting these trees was where I belonged.

Eden’s Rise is such a beautiful and peaceful place, where even as I worked a ground hog lumbered past me. I only want to add to the beauty of this space. For now it is critical that rodents and deer do not get over keen and kill the trees before they have a chance to grow. I’ve left the self-seeded trees alone for now in order to leave current food sources unchanged. Creatures will not be worse off for the work I am doing, be sure of that!

Days are getting warmer, yet the leaves are still tucked away inside of their buds, and I am waiting on a delivery of strawberries and asparagus. 

I cannot wait to see what surprises will come from this adventure.


Next week I’d like to begin showing you around some of the varieties I’ve planted. There are so many! 


No comments:

Post a Comment