Sunday, July 3, 2016

Why Garden?

It's a lot of work; so why garden?

It would be easier not to plant all these trees. In the supermarket we can buy local fruit and exotic fruit of all shapes and colours. But they have about 1/4 of the taste and texture compared to eating them ripe off the tree. That's one reason people garden. Taste. 


This is pretty much the entire harvest for 2016, so why bother?
You could spend Sunday mornings laying in bed until noon while watching a Netflix show and eating Nutella straight from the jar (tempting) instead of working 6 hours lugging water, raking, weeding, digging, and generally 'working'. This physical exertion gives you strength, a well earned hunger, and energy that can only come from regular exercise. You might garden for your health.

When you shop for seeds, bulbs, plants; fruit, vegetable, or floral- you have so many options to choose from. You can plant huge flowers of all colours, try 20 varieties of tomato, grow something you've never heard of for the chance to try an unknown berry in several years' time. You can garden for variety and discovery.


If you read this blog, you're likely a gardener yourself. What's your reason for gardening? Have you ever even stopped to wonder why you do it?


My reason is pure and simple: I enjoy it. 

I dig and sweat in the sun on a cool morning. I hear the birds sing. I look up to see a herd of wild turkeys watching me, or a weasel carrying a rodent half its size. I hear the wind and the hum of bees and forget about time, people, stress, traffic, internet, deadlines. I reconnect to the true meaning of life, to nature. 

It isn't work to me, I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. 

You can leave your comments below, I would love to hear about your own adventures into gardening! 

Have a lovely week.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gardening and being outside in general because it makes me feel at peace. Green is my favourite colour.

    ReplyDelete