Monday, April 25, 2016

Two Sunny Sundays

Spring is the time for new beginnings and while I am anxiously awaiting my first trees, my brother anxiously awaits his first child. 

Obviously my thing is way more scary. 

My brother and my good friend offered their help to get me on track to have my field ready in time for planting. With Marilyn’s strong back all of the holes are prepared and mulched for my pommes, stones, and berries. My own back has been turning over soil to make raised beds for strawberries, trenches for asparagus, and a patch where I will sow native flowers. And with Jack's knowledge of carpentry the trellises are mostly done, now I only have to add the wire and the grape vines! 




This week should also be the last for frost (though I’ll make sure not to trust the weather forecast for a while longer) which means my vegetable and flower seedlings are beginning to think of moving outdoors. Full disclosure: my seedlings are the ugliest, weakest, and unhappiest plants I have ever seen. Those that managed to sprout and that haven’t died from damping off shrivel up as soon as I put them outside like the mere thought of a breeze is enough to make them faint. All and all it has started my adventure off on a bit of a minor key.

I can think of several reasons why the seedlings are struggling.I think the main issue is that I tried to start them in a 50/50 mix of potting soil and coconut coir. Skimping on the growing medium and trays has taught me my first important lesson in growing: if you’re going to do something, do it right. No more half-assed-ness going on here.


Speaking of asses, here are Eden’s Rise’s neighbours. These two horses come watch me as I work, then go back to their grazing when they get bored of that. They'll likely find me much less boring when I'm harvesting apples five years from now.


The big stuff is all happening this week, stay tuned for updates on the new life in Eden's Rise!

No comments:

Post a Comment