Monday, August 21, 2017

Minimalism Inside and Out


Last year I got very excited about decorating Eden's Rise with upcycled objects, and wrote a post about it (link here). I have since adopted minimalism, or simplicity, as a lifestyle. At its most basic, living simply means living with what you need, what you use regularly, and removing the excess. 

When I look at decorations in people's gardens, and my own attempts at adding decorative flourishes to Eden's Rise, I am embarrassed by the enthusiasm I had in this regard last year. Man-made objects deteriorate rapidly when exposed to the elements. My neighbour on one side has a crumbling concrete bench, another has a rusting statue of a knight in armour, another has a peeling lawn gnome. My decorations are no different. The post I wrote about upcycling was called "Paradise or Junkyard: The Fine Line". What keeps objects on one side of the line is regular maintenance. 

Part of the philosophy of minimalism and simplicity is that even though you are not aware of the 'stuff' in your house taking up your time, they do require maintenance. Whether literally, in tidying up, or in a larger mortgage to afford the space to store all those useless (to you) objects. I was blind to the fact that my orchard decorations would become a drain on my time-- I prefer to spend my time working with the plants, not repainting decorative gates or repairing raised beds. 

Here is a quote from Francine Jay to start your week:

"Strive not to get more done, but to have less to do."



No comments:

Post a Comment